FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

New build for photo editing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rebadurchee View Drop Down
AVADirect Noob
AVADirect Noob

Quote rebadurchee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New build for photo editing
    Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 9:52am
I've configured this system that I think will meet my main needs of photo editing (80%)and office and web browsing.  I do little to no gaming.  A quiet rig is important but I don't want to spend a mint on quiet tech.  Another concern is to future proof as much as possible: I'm updating a 5 year old rig that has given its all and is now ready to totter off to the home for elderly computers.

I've read that CS5 is more friendly to Nvidia cards, hence my choice of the SLI system.  I probably won't be editing video, or if I do it will be down the road a bit; my main thing is professional still photography.  Does that Nvidia preference extend from video to stills?

I use two monitors with DVI.  Is this video card sufficient, overkill, or... what?  I do have a Radeon 3650 that I'm using now.  If that is sufficient for my purposes I could use the graphic card savings elsewhere in the rig.

I have a Samsung 1Tb F3 that I will be adding to the rig when I get it.  Where do I go to learn about setting up RAID 1?

Any other comments are welcome!

Thanks,

Item Code: DTS-CI7-3SLID3XTP

Edited by rebadurchee - 03 Aug 2010 at 10:11am
rebadurchee
tendollartommy View Drop Down
AVADirect Noob
AVADirect Noob

Quote tendollartommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 4:08pm
Video card brand is not a big deal if you're only using Photoshop. The new Mercury Playback Engine in CS5 applies only to PremierePro. There are currently only a few supported nVidia cards for CS5, but there are 'hacks' around which allow you to have CS5 'find' other cards such as the GTX470. Check the Adobe hardware forum for more info than you will ever want to knowBig%20smile
rebadurchee View Drop Down
AVADirect Noob
AVADirect Noob

Quote rebadurchee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 5:36pm
Thanks, tendollartommy, that's good info.  Yes, I almost drowned at Adobe forums....
rebadurchee
 Post Reply Post Reply