FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

BSOD after full reformat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pseudonymph24 View Drop Down
AVADirect Noob
AVADirect Noob

Quote pseudonymph24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BSOD after full reformat
    Posted: 19 May 2008 at 6:57pm

Hi Chris (and/or whoever is willing to help),This is N. Coleman. I spoke to you earlier about the BSOD issues I was having. I followed your advice and performed the following steps in order:Did a full reformat with no problemsInserted Gigabyte cd and installed Lan driver fineRebooted and Windows loaded fineChecked internet connection and it was fineChecked Windows update via web...and got an autorestart while it was loading.Rebooted...Windows loaded fineChecked Windows update via web againGot BSOD page_fault_in_nonpaged_area while loading updateI still have that screen up.I took a quick picture of the BSOD with my phone, so excuse the quality, but here it is: http://i30.tinypic.com/2zfk67d.jpgPlease help. I'm so frustrated because I've been having issues with this computer since I received it. It is beautiful indeed, but I would like for it to work correctly of course.UPDATETried to reboot and got a blank screen instead of Windows loading screenTried to reboot again and "start Windows normally" and got auto restartTried to reboot AGAIN and "start Windows normally" and it booted okay
Tried to update Windows via web again and it installed some things
okay, but then it wanted me to Activate Windows, and though this would
be my first time actually "activating" it, it told me I had exceeded
the # of times I could and to enter a NEW product key. Are they going
by the # of times I did reformats? (This is so unbelievably frustrating.) I clicked
out the window and the notification about "activating Windows" *seemed*
to go away.
Rebooted fine and checked for updates again, and then got another BSOD. This time it said "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL."Rebooted again and got blank screen instead of Windows loadingI am stopping here and turning my computer off for now until you guys get back to me. Thank you.

Edited by vikonic - 04 May 2012 at 3:48pm
cmundy View Drop Down
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Support

Quote cmundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 10:43am
Hello pseudonymph24

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

From Microsoft
Cause

Bug check 0x50 usually occurs after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, be it main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM).

As I suggested with you on the phone this morning it is possible it could be memory , video card or a component on the motherboard.

We can try MEMTEST86 to test the memory, remove your PCI sound card and disable any onboard devices such as USB and LAN.  I would like to troubeshoot the system to locate the defective component so we may send you a replacement.

I will await your call and thank you for all your cooperation and patience.

Chris Mundy
AVADirect
Director of Technical Support
216-503-6371 Direct
AVADirect Noob
AVADirect Noob

Quote pseudonymph24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 5:27am
Hi Chris, this is an update. I spoke to my friend, the one you talked to yesterday, and we tested what you suggested.

I believe it was indeed a ram issue. I took out 1gig of ram and all seems to be well. I did a strenuous reboot test with Windows, and I have not seen any BSODs, random restarts, or blank screens thus far. I will give it 5 days to see if anything changes, and if not, I guess I am home free.

Thanks for your help. I will keep you updated.

Edited by pseudonymph24 - 21 May 2008 at 5:39am
cmundy View Drop Down
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Support

Quote cmundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2008 at 9:55am
Originally posted by pseudonymph24

Hi Chris, this is an update. I spoke to my friend, the one you talked to yesterday, and we tested what you suggested.

I believe it was indeed a ram issue. I took out 1gig of ram and all seems to be well. I did a strenuous reboot test with Windows, and I have not seen any BSODs, random restarts, or blank screens thus far. I will give it 5 days to see if anything changes, and if not, I guess I am home free.

Thanks for your help. I will keep you updated.

Please let me know how everything goes and contact me at the number below so I can set up a RMA to replace the defective RAM.

Thank YouSmile
Chris Mundy
AVADirect
216-503-6371 Direct
AVADirect Noob
AVADirect Noob

Quote pseudonymph24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 10:36pm
Hi, Chris.

I have been consistently successful with Windows booting up since uninstalling that one gig of ram. I thought that maybe it was too much for my OS? Or do you really think it is defective.

I no longer get BSOD when booting up at all *knocks on wood*. However, I do get BSOD sometimes when I am playing the Desperate Housewives game, but it is known to crash, so I don't know if that's necessarily an issue related to my computer. My drivers seem to be okay. I am going to test it out with a couple hours of game play with the Sims 2. Hopefully, I won't experience any crashes like I did with Desperate Housewives.
AVADirect Noob
AVADirect Noob

Quote pseudonymph24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 1:48pm
Update:

This morning, I had about 8 windows open, and I was browsing Google when suddenly my screen went black and Windows rebooted. Any idea what could have caused this? I was doing fine for an entire week+ before today.

Update #2: Got BSOD while playing Sims shortly after posting my first update. I recreated the stop error and it said, "Page fault in non-paged area."

Edited by pseudonymph24 - 27 May 2008 at 2:08pm
cmundy View Drop Down
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Support

Quote cmundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 10:38am

Update:

This morning, I had about 8 windows open, and I was browsing Google when suddenly my screen went black and Windows rebooted. Any idea what could have caused this? I was doing fine for an entire week+ before today.

Update #2: Got BSOD while playing Sims shortly after posting my first update. I recreated the stop error and it said, "Page fault in non-paged area."

Hello Again,

Please make sure that your memory timings and voltage for the RAM are set correctly in the BIOS.  If you want to PM me your order number I can put together some instructions for you.

Thank YouSmile
Chris Mundy
AVADirect
216-503-6371 Direct
AVADirect Noob
AVADirect Noob

Quote pseudonymph24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 4:15am
Okay, Chris. I am PM'ing you my order number now. Thanks.
cmundy View Drop Down
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Support

Quote cmundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 11:19am
Hello,
After examining your order your motherboard does not have options to set the memory timings because the motherboard will do so automatically.  It is possible that we are dealing with a hardware issue. 

Your order shows that you have four 1GB sticks installed and that you have already removed one.  The memory is installed in matched pairs so there could be a defective stick within one of those pairs.  Which stick of RAM did you remove?  Your motherboard has 4 DIMM slots , pair one should be install in Slot 1 & 3 and the second on 2 & 4.  Run the system with the first pair in 1 & 3.  If you still are getting crashes swap 1 & 3 with the RAM you have already removed and see if those BSODs still occur.

Thank You for your cooperation
Chris Mundy
AVADirect
216-503-6371 Direct
AVADirect Noob
AVADirect Noob

Quote pseudonymph24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 7:48pm
I removed stick #4.

I will test this this weekend and let you know my progress.

Edited by pseudonymph24 - 30 May 2008 at 8:14pm
AVADirect Noob
AVADirect Noob

Quote pseudonymph24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 3:56pm
As you said, I already removed 1gig, which was stick #4. I have now removed stick #2 as well, so only the first pair in 1 & 3 are in my computer. I will see how it runs on 2gigs with that ram. I'll keep you updated.
AVADirect Noob
AVADirect Noob

Quote pseudonymph24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 6:53am
UPDATE:

So, everything was running smooth until 20 minutes ago. I was in the middle of playing a game -  which hadn't crashed as frequently since running the pc on 2gigs - and THEN it crashes, and I get this BSOD:

http://i28.tinypic.com/imjokx.jpg

Now, since restarting my pc, I have seen the same BSOD. After my pc has been back on for 10 minutes or so, I get it again. So far, I have seen this BSOD 3 times in less than 20 minutes...

After the 4th reboot, it never restarted properly; the screen stayed black and the fan kicked into high gear.

I tried rebooting again, and it did the same thing. Windows doesn't get a chance to load up.

On my 5th or 6th try, my motherboard ad screen popped up (this was my first time ever seeing this screen), and Windows loaded normally, but 10 minutes later, I got the Bad_Pool_Header BSOD again. I have since turned the pc off.

I guess I should swap the ram now? By now, I am convinced some of it is defective, if not all.

Edited by pseudonymph24 - 02 Jun 2008 at 7:28am
cmundy View Drop Down
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Support

Quote cmundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 10:08am

UPDATE:

So, everything was running smooth until 20 minutes ago. I was in the middle of playing a game -  which hadn't crashed as frequently since running the pc on 2gigs - and THEN it crashes, and I get this BSOD:

http://i28.tinypic.com/imjokx.jpg

Now, since restarting my pc, I have seen the same BSOD. After my pc has been back on for 10 minutes or so, I get it again. So far, I have seen this BSOD 3 times in less than 20 minutes...

After the 4th reboot, it never restarted properly; the screen stayed black and the fan kicked into high gear.

I tried rebooting again, and it did the same thing. Windows doesn't get a chance to load up.

On my 5th or 6th try, my motherboard ad screen popped up (this was my first time ever seeing this screen), and Windows loaded normally, but 10 minutes later, I got the Bad_Pool_Header BSOD again. I have since turned the pc off.

I guess I should swap the ram now? By now, I am convinced some of it is defective, if not all.

Cry Unfortunately it seems you have a hardware issue.  Please swap the RAM and if you are still having problems please email me and we can issue you a RMA number to repair the system.

Thank you for your cooperation and patience.

Edited by cmundy - 02 Jun 2008 at 10:09am
Chris Mundy
AVADirect
216-503-6371 Direct
AVADirect Noob
AVADirect Noob

Quote pseudonymph24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 1:02pm
Okay, Chris. I will swap the ram now and keep you updated. Thanks.
AVADirect Noob
AVADirect Noob

Quote pseudonymph24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 1:36pm
BTW, before I swapped the ram for a second time, I got another interesting BSOD:

http://i30.tinypic.com/11ln8z6.jpg

Edited by pseudonymph24 - 02 Jun 2008 at 1:37pm
cmundy View Drop Down
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Support

Quote cmundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 5:57pm

BTW, before I swapped the ram for a second time, I got another interesting BSOD:

http://i30.tinypic.com/11ln8z6.jpg

Hello again,

This stop error is due to software installed that is running on startup.  Do you have any antivirus installed?  You might want to go into safe mode and click the windows button and type in msconfig under search. 

In msconfig uncheck load startup items and click apply or ok and restart the computer.

Please let me know.
Thank you again for your cooperation Smile
Chris Mundy
AVADirect
216-503-6371 Direct
AVADirect Noob
AVADirect Noob

Quote pseudonymph24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 7:53pm
Yes, I have AVG Anti-Virus protection installed. I will do what you suggested and report back. Thanks.
AVADirect Noob
AVADirect Noob

Quote pseudonymph24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2008 at 4:15pm
Okay, since swapping the ram, the whole constant BSOD issue has been resolved once again. I played DHW (Desperate Housewives game) for an hour straight before it crashed and restarted my computer. If a game crashes, is it normal for it to restart the computer? I'm thinking it was a crash on my system that CAUSED the game to crash and not the actual game itself.

I checked the Event Log...though I'm not 100% sure I was looking in the right place. Are the BSOD logs marked with the red Error "X" icon?
AVADirect Noob
AVADirect Noob

Quote pseudonymph24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2008 at 4:22pm
UPDATE:

Well, after looking in the Event Viewer under System, a lot of the red Error "X" notices lead me to this page here.

Maybe it'll give us some insight, maybe it won't.
AVADirect Noob
AVADirect Noob

Quote pseudonymph24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 5:38am
UPDATE #2:

Okay, I was reinstalling the Sims 2 game and its expansion packs, but kept getting errors with some of the EPs. I checked my Event Viewer once again and saw many instances of something that lead me to this:

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 7
Source: Cdrom
Version: 5.0
Component: System Event Log
Symbolic Name: IO_ERR_BAD_BLOCK

Explanation

The device has a bad block of memory, which Windows attempted to read. The data might be missing or corrupted.

User Action

Do one or all of the following:

• Retry the operation.
  • Clean the physical hard drive.
  • Use newer media.

Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: IO_ERR_BAD_BLOCK

Explanation

The device has a bad block of memory, which Windows attempted to read. The data might be missing or corrupted.

User Action

Do one or all of the following:

• Retry the operation.
  • Clean the physical hard drive.
  • Use newer media.

AND one instance that lead me to this:

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 51
Source: Disk
Version: 5.0
Symbolic Name: IO_WARNING_PAGING_FAILURE
Message: An error was detected on device %1 during a paging operation.

Explanation

An input/output (I/O) request to a memory-mapped file failed and the operation was retried.

User Action

If these events are logged regularly on a primary system drive, replace the device. Otherwise, no user action is required.

Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: IO_WARNING_PAGING_FAILURE
Message: An error was detected on device %1 during a paging operation.

Explanation

An input/output (I/O) request to a memory-mapped file failed and the operation was retried.

User Action

If these events are logged regularly on a primary system drive, replace the device. Otherwise, no user action is required.

Please help.

Edited by pseudonymph24 - 05 Jun 2008 at 5:48am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>