FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Mixing High and Low End Graphics Cards?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
scotts87 View Drop Down
AVADirect Noob
AVADirect Noob

Quote scotts87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mixing High and Low End Graphics Cards?
    Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 3:37pm
A few years ago, I added a video card to my Gateway desktop PC (running Vista). Its a GeForce GT220. For mid range applications, it actually works okay, but frame rate suffers with high graphics programs like FSX. To this day the graphics card seems to run just fine otherwise.

So in my new build, I am considering the "top of the line" graphics card available today (I think), the AMD Radeon HD 7970. I don't want to add two of them (yet) for budget reasons.

But my question is, when I get my new build, can I add my GT220 in one of the available video card slots? I realize the two cards are worlds apart in terms of speed, but can it be done so I can take just a little bit of processing load off of the 7970?

I guess more importantly, could I be doing more harm than good by doing that? Is there a chance I could kill my system by mixing old and new video cards from different manufacturers?

Thanks,
Scott
Jmundy View Drop Down
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Sales

Quote Jmundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 10:41am
Hello scotts87,

My spidey sense tells me no, considering that type of configuration is relevant to Nvidia graphics cards. If you were to use a high-end Nvidia card, over the ATI HD 7970 then yes. You would have the ability to visit the Nvidia control panel and set that GT220 dedicated to Physx. However, if you keep the ATI HD 7970 installed, and then install the GT220, the Nvidia control panel will only see one Nvidia card thus not providing the option of setting it to Phsyx since, technically, the computer will see it as one of the "primary" cards. In order to have the PC recognize it as a "secondary" card it needs to see two Nvidia cards installed. Not to mention, installing two different graphics cards may cause driver conflicts between AMD and NVidia.

I hope this helps, and feel free to continue posting about any qquestionsyou ahaveon the subject!
Joseph Mundy
Assistant Sales Manager
1-216-503-6361
joseph.mundy@avadirect.com
scotts87 View Drop Down
AVADirect Noob
AVADirect Noob

Quote scotts87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 10:51am
Your "spidey sense" LOL confirms mine as well. Your detailed description makes total sense, and I will not mix and match. Thanks for the feedback!

On that point, if I didn't feel like I needed TWO 7970's, but I wanted to add a second ATI graphics card, is there something that I could add, that won't break the bank?

Thanks!
Jmundy View Drop Down
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Sales

Quote Jmundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 3:46pm
Hello scotts87,

You can add a second ATI card, but AMD has nothing assigned in their drivers to take advantage of a second card outside of using it to provide more outputs for multiple displays. If that's something you could use then by all means add any ATI card that suitable for your budget.
Joseph Mundy
Assistant Sales Manager
1-216-503-6361
joseph.mundy@avadirect.com
 Post Reply Post Reply