FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Core I7 965 Bloomfield CPU question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
crypt View Drop Down
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote crypt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Core I7 965 Bloomfield CPU question
    Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 10:55am
We switched internet service and during the process of setting it up. He mentioned my CPU usage was only 3% he said that was low. My question is wouldn't cpu be low in this instance?

Can you recommend a good program to test my overall performance of my system? They used norton pc checkup. I used cpu-z but, it seemed cpu was fine.

They used Norton PC checkup and said, my machine rated poor.

Any ideas
Jmundy View Drop Down
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Sales

Quote Jmundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 11:16am
Hello pdwe,

Yes, having a low CPU usage is normal when your computer is at idle; even when using the on-board network controller. There are settings you can change in your network preferences, such as green savings, power savings, etc...to boost your network performance, but even then CPU usage will not nearly be as high if you were to play a game, encode video, etc...

Definitely, for the CPU look into Intel Burn Test.

This typically measures stability, but can also be used to measure performance of the RAM and CPU.

For the GPU, we use Unigine:

I don't know who "they" is, but I'm almost entirely certain your machine is still sufficient for what you're doing. Be careful when bringing an outside source, geared to make money off of service, and taking their advice. A good example: you may take your car into a shop to have the oil changed. They will almost always tell you "you need this replaced, look into fixing this in the future, etc..." it's how they make their money, so unfortunately they plan on your own doubt to make that profit.

Always refer to us for that advice; we care more about making sure you're happier with your computer in the long run, then trying to selling you a service. :-)

Joseph Mundy
Assistant Sales Manager
1-216-503-6361
joseph.mundy@avadirect.com
crypt View Drop Down
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote crypt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Jmundy

Hello pdwe,

Yes, having a low CPU usage is normal when your computer is at idle; even when using the on-board network controller. There are settings you can change in your network preferences, such as green savings, power savings, etc...to boost your network performance, but even then CPU usage will not nearly be as high if you were to play a game, encode video, etc...

Definitely, for the CPU look into Intel Burn Test.

This typically measures stability, but can also be used to measure performance of the RAM and CPU.

For the GPU, we use Unigine:

I don't know who "they" is, but I'm almost entirely certain your machine is still sufficient for what you're doing. Be careful when bringing an outside source, geared to make money off of service, and taking their advice. A good example: you may take your car into a shop to have the oil changed. They will almost always tell you "you need this replaced, look into fixing this in the future, etc..." it's how they make their money, so unfortunately they plan on your own doubt to make that profit.

Always refer to us for that advice; we care more about making sure you're happier with your computer in the long run, then trying to selling you a service. :-)

Yeah I thought right away that was the angle a way for them to make money. Oh definately I come here first before I jump. After all you built my rig you guys know this stuff very very well. Thanks for the links I will run intel test.
Jmundy View Drop Down
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Sales

Quote Jmundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 12:30pm
Hello pdwe,

No problem, it is always a a pleasure to assist you!

Feel free to post your results with both applications once you're finished!

Joseph Mundy
Assistant Sales Manager
1-216-503-6361
joseph.mundy@avadirect.com
 Post Reply Post Reply