FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Did I buy the wrong RAM?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
blortina View Drop Down
AVADirect Noob
AVADirect Noob

Quote blortina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did I buy the wrong RAM?
    Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 11:39pm
I just ordered an AVA 6-core I7 with a bunch of nice stuff in it but chose this ram:

MUSHKIN, 16GB (4 x 4GB) Redline PC3-17000 DDR3 2133MHz CL9 (9-11-10-28) 1.65V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC

B/c I wanted the fastest memory available in these 4 GB sticks - but I dont know jack about memory speeds or cascading stuff.

Ava will mildly overclock the machine but I have no intention to - what's the best value and amount of RAM for a 6 core/ 680 / raid0 SSD type machine.

Was I a fool? Will Ava let configs change before the machine is built?

Please advise.

-Peter C.
Jmundy View Drop Down
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Sales

Quote Jmundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 5:25pm
Hello Peter,

I believe we spoke previously, I'm happy to see you participating on our forum!

Typically, RAM speeds between 1333Mhz and 1600Mhz do not make much of a difference relative to real-world performance. The higher speeds, such as the 2133Mhz kit you selected, will in fact make quite the difference in performance. Latency is not entirely important, unless you're using an application that specifically requires low latencies. Since you decided to purchase Mushkin, I feel you made the right decision in order to obtain the best "bang for your buck"

Please feel free to continue posting with any questions you may have!
Joseph Mundy
Assistant Sales Manager
1-216-503-6361
joseph.mundy@avadirect.com
blortina View Drop Down
AVADirect Noob
AVADirect Noob

Quote blortina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 8:31pm
Hello Joe,

Thanks for the duplicate answer - but I really wanted to know if that speed change made a difference.

I left a rambling message about getting the box for the retail Intel processor that comes in the machine. I collect those boxes because I always buy retail chips.

There's gotta be some way this early on in the process of building to include this humble customers strange request?

Those boxes are like hood ornaments to us hardcore nerds and, well, I should've asked before sale whether I could get the box or not.

I leave you alone now, but thanks for the incredible customer service and techincal advice so far.

Regards,

Peter Cartwright
Jmundy View Drop Down
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Sales

Quote Jmundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 11:57am
Hello Peter,

You're welcome, it's a pleasure to assist you!

I also requested that we send you the retail box for your processor. It looks like we should be able to get that done for you. :-)

Feel free to continuing post on AVAForums and have a wonderful weekend!
Joseph Mundy
Assistant Sales Manager
1-216-503-6361
joseph.mundy@avadirect.com
 Post Reply Post Reply