FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Cooler Master cases?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BW85 View Drop Down
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote BW85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cooler Master cases?
    Posted: 02 May 2012 at 10:31am
Are these cases top-of-the-line when it comes to cooling? Or other competitors slightly better (Antec, Sentey, etc.). I still haven't decided if I want to integrate Liquid Cooling into my custom build, or just rely on the fans.
Jmundy View Drop Down
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Sales

Quote Jmundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 1:13pm
Hello BW85,

The top case manufacturers, in my opinion, are Antec, Coolermaster, Fractal Design, NZXT, and Lian li. Most are either moderately priced, or very expensive for good reason. Depending on the current needs of your configuration, and intent to upgrade in the future, any of those case manufacturers should fit the bill for you.

As far as liquid cooling, I think you should considering a custom loop for one of two reasons:

1. Plans to overclock in the future
2. "Peace of mind" knowing that your components will be super cool, at low noise levels.

I actually upgraded to liquid cooling in my system for reason number two. I like knowing that I can leave my computer on, all day, under full load if necessary and have excellent temperatures. Keep in mind, there is more maintenance involved, but the positive sides pay off more than the negatives. Otherwise, air cooling will still do an excellent job.

Joseph Mundy
Assistant Sales Manager
1-216-503-6361
joseph.mundy@avadirect.com
crypt View Drop Down
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote crypt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 2:03pm

NM

Edited by pdwe - 02 May 2012 at 3:31pm
BW85 View Drop Down
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote BW85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 2:37pm
Custom loop = liquid cooling, correct? Are there any risks of any tubes ever getting punctured or any weeping or anything? I really do like the concept of liquid cooling, and like you, always appreciate peace of mind!
Jmundy View Drop Down
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Sales

Quote Jmundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by pdwe

What if a person doesn't leave his system on 24/7 or OC is computer is water cooling really needed even if it had cutting edge parts in a system?

No, I don't think it is a necessity at that point, just a luxury if anything. I just like overclocking for the ability to know that your components will remain cool, no matter what the ambient temperature internally is.

Originally posted by BW85

Custom loop = liquid cooling, correct? Are there any risks of any tubes ever getting punctured or any weeping or anything? I really do like the concept of liquid cooling, and like you, always appreciate peace of mind!

Yes, that is correct! There are risks, but only if you leave yourself open to them. Make sure you have the correct fittings, the right size tubing the the type of case you have (size, design, etc...) and if you check a few things once a day then you can keep it running well. Check temperatures, RPMs of the pump, and look inside the case for any leaks daily and you can rest assured it will pay off for you!
Joseph Mundy
Assistant Sales Manager
1-216-503-6361
BW85 View Drop Down
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote BW85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 3:44pm
That sounds easy enough! I may not need Liquid Cooling, considering I won't be overclocking, and never keep my machine on at night. If I end up going with the HAF X, it sounds like that case has plenty to keep my relatively simple configuration cool.
Jmundy View Drop Down
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Sales

Quote Jmundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 6:14pm
Hello BW86,

It's easy, once you're experienced, but don't get me wrong; I had one heck of a time putting the system together, about 20+ hours total. It was worth it in the long run...perhaps something you could consider in the future, if you get bored with an air-cooled setup.

Joseph Mundy
Assistant Sales Manager
1-216-503-6361
BW85 View Drop Down
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote BW85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 12:27pm
Bringing up another old topic here, too. Are the Corsair Liquid Cooling H-series closed-loop, so there is virtually minimal maintenance? Also, will the tubes in a HAF X case interfere if I decide to add a second graphics card in the future, or hot swap HDDs?

EDIT: Also, with the HAF X, would I need to upgrade the CPU Cooler, or would another option be to get liquid cooling and just upgrade the fans to the maximum package?

Edited by BW85 - 22 May 2012 at 4:40pm
Jmundy View Drop Down
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Sales

Quote Jmundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 5:42pm
Hello BW85,

The Corsair liquid cooling H series coolers are completely closed loop, and do not require maintenance such as cleaning the tubing, refilling coolant, cleansing the loop, etc...the only maintenance required involved a can of compressed air and blowing out all of the accumulated dust from the radiator; typical maintenance compared to an air cooler.

Tubing is also not a problem, since they are very thing compared to some custom liquid cooling tubes. They will be no where near the graphics cards, so removing them to install upgrades, or performance maintenance will be similar to that of owning an air cooler. Corsair put a lot of time and energy into ensuring the closed-loop liquid cooling solutions are really no extra hassle over an air cooler.

You could really swing either way with the cooling, it all comes down to preference. Upgrading to the maximum fan package won't really do anything for your CPU temperature directly, it will either add cool LED fans or help the ambient system temperature. I like liquid cooling setups, so I would opt for the closed-loop liquid cooling and fan package combination. Out of the hundreds of Corsair liquid cooling units we have sold, only one began to leak, and it was an isolated issue. Corsair is also great about taking care of their customers. They refunded a majority of the costs involved with replacing the components that the leak affected.

I know we have had this discussion before, but if the above mentioned issue with the Corsair liquid cooling system worries you, even the slightest bit (completely understandable) then go with the sure thing and stick with air cooling. Yes, it's standard and nothing new, but it will still provide better results than a stock cooler and will provide you with peace of mind. These decisions cannot be made overnight, and I definitely understand the process, so think about it for a while until you make your decision. When I find myself in similar situations, it's best to do some research online by reading other end-user's experiences.

Joseph Mundy
Assistant Sales Manager
1-216-503-6361
vikonic View Drop Down
AVADirect Admins
AVADirect Admins

Quote vikonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 11:52am
Corsair Hydro series can provide very good cooling when configured in a push-pull configuration. Even the units with just a 120MM rads have been known to outperform most expensive air coolers. However in order to make them as effective as possible, you really have to blast the fans at >1500RPM. The negative effect is the added noise, but if this isn't the problem then Hydro series are a great bang for the buck.

Regarding tubing, its very flexible and easy to install, however once you lock it in a position the tubing tends to harden after continuous heat cycles making it difficult to re-position any other way. Of course this isn't really a huge problem, but something to keep in mind in case you ever wanted to change the mounting location.

The only issue I see with the closed-loop systems, and this is only my personal opinion, is that they're not significantly better than air coolers but they add a significant risk factor to the whole system. If I am building a system for myself and I'm willingly adding a risk factor by making it liquid cooled, I also want the same amount of performance. I have a feeling closed-loop systems are simply products to fill in the gap in the market between air cooler and full liquid cooling systems, hence their price range.
Vedran Ikonic
Technical Support Manager
216-503-6374 Option 4
support@avadirect.com

How To Guides - FREE Troubleshooting Help from AVADirect

Problems with your Computer? - Post HERE
 Post Reply Post Reply