FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

7x0i Video Corruption & eVGA 750i FTW

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AndonSage View Drop Down
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote AndonSage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7x0i Video Corruption & eVGA 750i FTW
    Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 1:50pm
It looks like the video corruption problem that Ekard had with his 780i motherboard is actually a problem in all 7x0i (750i/780i/790i) chipsets. The problem still has not been traced to any particular combination of hardware, and many people haven't had the problem at all.

Anyway, I'm posting this because I ordered the eVGA 750i SLI FTW motherboard in my new computer (based on Joe's recommendation and the reviews I read of this motherboard), so of course I'm a bit worried. I just wanted to post that eVGA has issued a BIOS update, to make sure that AVA Direct is aware of it, and is updating the motherboards. The thread on the eVGA forum regarding video corruption and the eVGA 750i SLI FTW motherboard is here.

The BIOS update can be found here at the eVGA forum:

This BIOS is ONLY for the EVGA 750i SLI FTW Motherboard

SZ1B BIOS is available now, the major highlights are listed below:

• Resolves graphics corruption issues when playing videos with certain GPU configurations. No impact to performance.

• Anyway, I'm not planning on switching to another motherboard, unless AVA Direct recommends it. I just wanted them to be aware of this situation.

*EDIT* Apparently this BIOS update may or may not fix the problem :( Perhaps AVA Direct can test some videos on computers with this motherboard?

Edited by AndonSage - 08 Jun 2008 at 2:28pm
    My AVA computer: Q9450 @ 3.2GHz | eVGA 750i SLI FTW | 8GB OCZ Reaper HPC 1066HZ RAM | TRUE-120 HS w/Scythe S-Flex 120mm fan | eVGA GTX 280 621/1350/1134(2268)MHz | 320/640GB WD HDDs | Antec P182 | Corsair CMPSU-1000HX | Samsung S203N DVD burner | Scythe Kama-Meter Fan Control | Vista Ultimate 64-bit | Soyo 24" 1920 x 1200 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech MX518 mouse
    MattSlagle View Drop Down
    AVADirect Guru
    AVADirect Guru

Quote MattSlagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 9:51am
    I have read the problem before, but I forget the specific cause.  Do you know the specifics of the problem and how to re-create the problem?

Maybe we could implement a test where along with our normal burn-in, we test all eVGA boards with a video corruption test.
    Matt Slagle
    AVADirect Research and Developement
    AndonSage View Drop Down
    AVADirect Guru
    AVADirect Guru

Quote AndonSage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 10:00am
    Originally posted by MattSlagle

I have read the problem before, but I forget the specific cause.  Do you know the specifics of the problem and how to re-create the problem?

There doesn't seem to be a specific cause, which is why this problem has been so hard to diagnose.

Maybe we could implement a test where along with our normal burn-in, we test all eVGA boards with a video corruption test.

Ekard listed a link in his thread to a video that would have the problem every time:

Originally posted by Ekard

Like if play the top file from here http://www.eztv.it/index.php?main=show&id=108 the one named alaskan special right after jamie writes out his own constitution till the end I am guaranteed corruption lock up and BSODs.

My AVA computer: Q9450 @ 3.2GHz | eVGA 750i SLI FTW | 8GB OCZ Reaper HPC 1066HZ RAM | TRUE-120 HS w/Scythe S-Flex 120mm fan | eVGA GTX 280 621/1350/1134(2268)MHz | 320/640GB WD HDDs | Antec P182 | Corsair CMPSU-1000HX | Samsung S203N DVD burner | Scythe Kama-Meter Fan Control | Vista Ultimate 64-bit | Soyo 24" 1920 x 1200 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech MX518 mouse
    memoryleak View Drop Down
    AVADirect Noob
    AVADirect Noob

Quote memoryleak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2008 at 11:02am

Matt, given the amount of hardware and orders you process, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt if you plead ignorance. BUT, if this is a "snow" job from your company, I will be righteously upset. As mentioned by the OP, customer Ekard, the EVGA 780i has a known video corruption problem per the EVGA forums. He specifically mentioned having troubles after watching video files on YouTube. I as well could recreate the problem watching video files using Windows Media Player in IE. The video corruption displays like an "easter egg" pastel junk in the media or as green static/snow. I found another corruption trying to watch movies "NOW" at the Netflix web site. All this took place last month. Your acknowledged in your response here in the MB/chipset forum was that there was a "compatibility' isssue and to stay tuned for developments. Well I've tried to stay tuned but I have a life to live.

Just out of idle curiousity, what happened to last month's forum entries?, did you have a HD crash that wiped it out or did it all go down the memory hole so that less than stellar reports about your machines would "disappear"?. FYI, my invoice # is 321825 and the PC is all of five weeks old. Angry
    MattSlagle View Drop Down
    AVADirect Guru
    AVADirect Guru

Quote MattSlagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2008 at 9:29pm
    Memoryleak,

It was just posted that there is now a bios update for your eVGA motherboard.

If you need assistance installing this bios, you are more than welcome to call us and one of our techs will step you through the process.

Like we have also said in previous posts, almost all of our other customers have not had a problem with their 700 series eVGA board, so that is why we were mostly unaware of the issue.  Once we were aware of the issue, there was not much more we could do than RMA the boards until the new bios updates.

I also noticed that in another post your HDDs were not formatted correctly.  We have taken the proper steps with that certain employee and I hope our quality control has improved.  I am sorry about the less than stellar service that you may have received.  Call us up first thing on Monday, and we will help you install the bios update and also help you partition your HDD per specification.
    Matt Slagle
    AVADirect Research and Developement
    AVADirect Noob
    AVADirect Noob

Quote memoryleak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 8:39am
    Matt,

Thanks for the response. Didn't check here yesterday till after your business hours.
    Will try to call in today. Haven't done a BIOS upgrade or partitioned a disk in ages.
    A pointer or two from you guys will certainly help. On the subject of BIOS though, I
    followed the link you posted and scoured that thread and others over at EVGA forums.
    Bios version P05P is the second release past what I see on the POST screen of the PC I have.
    Also, FWIW, this upgrade as well as the preceding P05 version has met with mixed results per
    the people posting in the forum. I'm concerned that several posters report instability, BSOD and crashes after these BIOS changes. Some maintain that going back to P04 is the way to go; naturally these people don't have the video corruption problem either. So, I'm going to
    "watch and wait" fro the time being to see if there is yet another BIOS upgrade forthcoming from EVGA. The video corruption I experience is an annoyance (well a large one all things considered) but it's still better than instability or BSOD.
    AVADirect Noob
    AVADirect Noob

Quote memoryleak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 8:56pm
    Well I called AVA tech support a little after 10 AM today and got voice mail, left a message and got message back (from Joe ?) after 5 PM while I was away. Phone tag is so much fun.
    Matt, I found the original thread about 780i video corruption over in the Hardware Trouble shooting section, so my apologies for suggesting that comments were being deleted. Embarrassed
    Ekard View Drop Down
    AVADirect Noob
    AVADirect Noob

Quote Ekard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008 at 5:00pm
    Its been a while since I posted on these forums or have had contact with avadirect. I was  given an RMA number to send in my pc to have the board swapped for a intel one however circumstances prevented this. My father had kidney failure and almost died and caused me to miss that RMA. He has since recovered but is still in a weakened condition. I have been unable to deal with this problem properly due to this.

I still have this terrible motherboard and have flashed it with all the new bios that have come out. It is a total failure. Today alone I have gotten 4 corruptions watching the latest episode of monk. This board should not be sold it should be destroyed. The bios fixes due nothing but change the way the corruptions occur nothing more. You no longer crash you just get video artifacts until a reboot is done. I truly hate this computer. I will either now have to get a new board and have it swapped out locally or try another RMA and pay well over $70 for shipping fees since this thing weighs so much.

This board is sh*t. It belongs in hell.

Edited by Ekard - 02 Aug 2008 at 5:49pm
    eVGA 780i,INTEL E8400, CORSAIR, 4GB (4x1GB)XMS2 Xtreme PC2-6400,SEAGATE x2 500GB Barracuda 7200.1,LITE-ON x2 LH-20A1L Black/Beige 20x DVD±RW Dual-Layer Burner w/ LightScribe,CREATIVE Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer, ATI SAPPHIRE Toxic Radeon HD 3870,THERMALTAKE 750W Power Supply, LEXA Black Mid-Tower Case,ZALMAN CNPS950 cooler, Windows XP SP3/Vista SP1 dual boot.
     Post Reply Post Reply