FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

My Antec Mods

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MattSlagle View Drop Down
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote MattSlagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Antec Mods
    Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 3:59pm
I do not know if anyone knows, but I have recently built myself a new computer.  While nothing high powered, this is the first time I have gone with brand named components.  My last computer only costed me about $500, but it was under powered, the motherboard died, and I could not upgrade.  Now that I have some good stuff, I am really happy and now I have gotten bit by the modding bug.

Anyways, I like the case, but there are a few issues that I wish to resolve by modding.  First off is the hdd cages.  There are two of them, one with 2 sleds, and the other with places for 3 on the side.  I like the sled design, but I have a video card in the way that prevents me from using that hdd cage.  Unfortunatly, Antec made the case so that the hdd cages are not able to be swapped.  They are the same size, yet they utilize different tracks.

I want to change the tracks from cage to cage, and then rotate them so that the sleds pull out sideways, away from the side of the case instead of into the mobo area.  Any thoughts on this?

I really only need two hdds in my system and I like the look of the sled system.  I added a fan on the front of the case, and if anyone knows the mini P180, you have to remove a drive cage to add a fan.  However, my 8800 GS prevents me from using the sled system as it is now.

Another idea I have is to add some graphics to the side of my case.  There is a company called LapJacks that will supply large stickers of any size needed.  I was thinking I could take a picture of my inside and use photoshop to make it look like your looking through a window.  Then apply the sticker and viola, immitation window.  Or another theme would have been gears or something machine-like.  Any ideas on this?
Matt Slagle
AVADirect Research and Developement
WillG View Drop Down
AVADirect Noob
AVADirect Noob

Quote WillG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2008 at 4:24am
I see no one has replied and I'm hoping that you're still looking to modify your case! :)

Stickers sound cool, but make sure you don't have any bubbles when applying the stickers. One bubble can make or break the sticker and if the sticker itself is relatively fragile, there may not be another chance to re-apply it. (I'm sure you'll have no problems though, just stating this because I've seen several friends waste $35+ on a simple custom sticker)

Since the case is already looking really good, I would suggest something extremely simple. I think if you replaced the black plastic areas (that were mostly visible) with a carbon fiber look and then have your gear theme that you posted above. Keep the metal look of the case! That color is already nice.

Just my thoughts though, and possibly more ideas for you :)

MattSlagle View Drop Down
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote MattSlagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2008 at 10:49am
Thanks Will,

Actually, I already have done a few of the mods.  I need to put up pics.

I rotated and changed around the hdd bay.  It actually looks decent, and you can barely tell that it is a mod.  It also cleans up much of the hdd wiring.

I cut out a place to install a window.  I did this on my own without professional help like laser cutting or cnc milling.  As far as the window, I am still looking for a decent and inexpensive plate of acrylic to use.

I have installed lighting, but I am currently working on a custom lighting setup which no one has seen before.

As far as the coatings go, I will skip that.  I like my case too much to do that to it.
Matt Slagle
AVADirect Research and Developement
WillG View Drop Down
AVADirect Noob
AVADirect Noob

Quote WillG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2008 at 6:34pm
Not a problem, maybe something below can spark some creative juices. I'm not telling you what to do, just rambling my own ideas that look good in the head, but I've got no idea how well they would seriously look)

I would suggest using clear plastic vinyl to shape your acrylic window. Or use the clearest possible vinyl you can get for the best price and put lights in a sandwich like pattern between two sheets. I'm sure you could also do this with acrylic, put some sort of "frost" onto it so that when the light hits it, the light is captured by the acrylic and shows some sort of design. (This sounds like the best, and if memory serves me correctly, you could use an acid-wash method to achieve the best results.) <-- You could also go for pure glass, but you'd have to be careful when moving the thing or make the window removable for transporting.

This leads to another idea, if you do use glass, it would look really cool if you cut the glass (or acrylic) in some manner and then have half of the pieces be stained/clouded and the other half clear, or somehow make an outer edge corresponding with the matte of the case, and going inward getting clearer and clearer. (or a spiral for that matter, using one single piece) This would look extremely cool if you somehow made LEDs in the center either spin or do something that attracts people (or flies!).

Lastly, you could just buy a sheet of frosted acrylic or glass (if you decide to go glass, get a colored frost, I'm not too sure if acrylic can be color frosted) and use that, it would fit nicely with the matte theme of the case (the metal look).  Lighting would be cool if you made the glass somewhat dual or triple colored. (Red and Yellow would do quite nicely with the black/metal finish)

A google on frosted acrylic and clear acrylic brought up this: 

http://www.acrilex.com/cool_frosted.cfm

Though it may be out of your realm of cost, they also have glow in the dark acrylic which would be wicked with a black light :P

Edited by WillG - 07 Jul 2008 at 6:47pm
 Post Reply Post Reply