FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

So How long should my CPU last?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
themandalorian View Drop Down
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote themandalorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So How long should my CPU last?
    Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 9:36pm

Planning on a quad core Q9650, will this last me a few years?

Since gaming is relying more and more on the GPU, and i can swap out graphics cards for a while, i'm planning on keeping my processor for a while

With games in the future utilizing 4 cores or more (nehalem) Will i be fine? 

I am not waiting for Nehalem and am hoping this won't cost me down the road. I hope i'm making the choice because i see the Q6600 still is amazing and thats years old

MattSlagle View Drop Down
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote MattSlagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 10:09am
I still use a Q6600 and quad-cores are going to dominate for the next coming years.

However, there are many games and applications which have not been coded yet for multi-core support like many games and everyday applications.  Problem is, writing code to run multiple threads is very complex and hard to do.  That is why it is taking some time for support for these types of processors.

The Q9650 is almost top of the line as far as processors go.  The only other processor which can beat it is the QX9770.

Trust me, that processor will be good for the next 4-5 years.
Matt Slagle
AVADirect Research and Developement
themandalorian View Drop Down
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote themandalorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 2:59pm
Alright that is what i'm planning, thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply