FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Q9650 VS Q9450

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
themandalorian View Drop Down
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote themandalorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Q9650 VS Q9450
    Posted: 17 Aug 2008 at 3:14am

So I'm going to have my CPU overclocked, and liquid cooled. However i don't really know what CPU to get anymore. I'm gaming at 1920 X1200 resolution so I'm hoping i won't have a CPU bottleneck. 

2 4870 X2's for my Graphics cards.

Should I spend the extra 300 for the Q9650? I've heard of people going to 3.6 stable on air for the Q9450, and 4ghz on the QX9650(dunno about the Q9650 its too new).

What are your thoughts? I'm in high school and work a few hours a week, however i've been saving this money to buy a high end comp for about 2 years, just got a job and started getting some real money lol

Gojira View Drop Down
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote Gojira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2008 at 11:26pm
Don't forget the Q9550.With the price drop,it's the same price as the Q9450 but a bit faster.With overclocking it's a better deal than the Q9650.
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote themandalorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2008 at 2:20pm

Yeah i just thought about it. Any AVAdirect's staff have anything to say about it?

I've been hearing so many people talk about that price drop, and yeah after the price drop it will be a 300 dollar difference for 200 mhz. I think i will stick with the 9550

MattSlagle View Drop Down
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote MattSlagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2008 at 3:14pm
Basically the Q9450, Q9550, Q9650/QX9650, and QX9770 are all the same chip just rated at different frequencies.

What Intel does is make all the chips to the highest standards (QX9770) but if the chip does not pass the test, it gets derated to a lower processor.  Thus, the Q9450 has proven to be an extremely good overclocker due to it originally coming from QX9770 stock.

However, you have to remember that these chips were not rated for QX9770 usage.  Just remember that locked processors depend on FSB overclocking to overclock the processor.  Thus it mainly depends on the motherboard to provide that overclocking.

I really cannot say a certain processor will overclock higher then another (percentage wise) due to all the factors that limit the total overclock.  On my motherboard, I cannot hit 2.8 GHz with my Q6600 due to motherboard limitations.

So if you want to overclock higher then 3.6 GHz, you will need an Extreme processor to be stable.  You cannot expect too much from a locked processor.
Matt Slagle
AVADirect Research and Developement
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote themandalorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2008 at 5:46pm
okay, well what's your view though, 550, 450, or 650
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote MattSlagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2008 at 5:53pm

Well since DX10, more and more of the grunt behind gaming is being pushed to the GPU.  The processor has now become not the sole performance component.  That burden has now fallen onto the video card.  Because of that, I would go with the Q9450.  I would go with the Q9550 when the prices are the same.

However, I am still recommending the Q6600 due to the incredibly low price for the performance it pushes.

The Q9650 is still too much for a locked processor.  And I have no idea why Intel is charging so much for unlocked processors.
Matt Slagle
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote themandalorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2008 at 8:46pm

K I'll go 550. I don't mind paying a hundred or so more for a bigger cache and a cooler processor.

Thank you so much!

Gojira View Drop Down
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote Gojira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2008 at 3:50am
Originally posted by MattSlagle

The Q9650 is still too much for a locked processor.  And I have no idea why Intel is charging so much for unlocked processors.

I've noticed that the great pricing we saw back in the early Core2 days is starting to fade.I think it hit it's peak with the Q6600.I'm afraid Intel is slipping back to it's old ways before AMD briefly took the lead.Sadly,they just haven't been able to come up with a competitive answer to Intel's CPU's since Core 2 was introduced,and without real competition,Intel has little reason to keep up the low prices. 
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote MattSlagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2008 at 9:56am
You also have to take into account that the newer processors (Q9000 series) are built upon 45 nm process compared to the larger 65 nm process.  The 45 nm process is more difficult and more expensive because Intel is throwing away more silicon due to defects.

When Intel finally masters the 45 nm process, we shall see some price drops.
Matt Slagle
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote themandalorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2008 at 12:21pm
I hope its insanely soon, lol
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote themandalorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2008 at 9:36pm
Can you hit 4 ghz? is that considered a modest overclock on a Q9650 if the NB and CPU are liquid cooled and the case has excellent cooling?
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote MattSlagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008 at 11:54am
Originally posted by themandalorian

Can you hit 4 ghz? is that considered a modest overclock on a Q9650 if the NB and CPU are liquid cooled and the case has excellent cooling?

You can hit 4 GHz on air cooling on the CPU and stock heatsinks on the NB.  Just make sure the case has front fans and some back fans as well.

Although this was with a QX9770, people have been saying on the overclock fan websites that the QX9650 has better overclockability due to the lower FSB and higher multiplier then the other.  Do not take my word on this, try out some of the OC forums and websites about confirmation on this and what settings and cooling they used to achieve this.
Matt Slagle
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote themandalorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008 at 1:08am
Oh i meant you guys personally. 
 Post Reply Post Reply