FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Upcoming Video Game - Far Cry 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MattSlagle View Drop Down
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote MattSlagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upcoming Video Game - Far Cry 2
    Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 2:53pm

Upcoming Video Game - Far Cry 2

Publisher: Ubisoft Montreal
Release Date: October 21, 2008
Engine: Dunia

I have seen the commercials for this on the G4 channel and it looks fantastic.  I have both a Xbox 360 and a gaming system, so I am torn to which version I should get.

Story

According to the game's plot, the nation's government has recently collapsed, leaving two major factions vying for control. At war are the United Front for Liberation and Labor (UFLL, led by Addi Mbantuwe, a former opposition leader) and the Alliance for Popular Resistance (APR, led by Oliver Tambossa, Chief of Staff for the former government). Both factions have claimed that they have the people's interests at heart, but both have shown signs of ruthlessness, warmongering, greed, and a general disregard for the well-being of the people. Both sides have hired many foreign mercenaries to bolster their strength over the course of the conflict.

Within the game world, it has recently been revealed that the nation's diamond mines have been exhausted, throwing the nation, its people, and the conflict into further turmoil, and possibly leaving the many foreign mercenaries without pay and without a way out, in a country in whose fate they have no real interest.

The goal of the player's character will be to find and liquidate "The Jackal", an arms dealer that has been selling weapons to both sides of the conflict. The player must accomplish this goal by whatever means necessary, perhaps even through actions which are dangerously close to the level of immorality employed by the warring factions and the Jackal himself.

Gameplay

Gameplay will revolve around the player character's manhunt through a fictional region of Africa and will be entirely open-ended, with the player being able to ally with anyone he/she chooses. The player's choices are completely unfettered, giving a sandbox style of gameplay and allowing the story to progress at the speed the player chooses. Instead of using individual maps, the game will take place in a sprawling African landscape, with terrain ranging from savannah to jungle. The gameplay area will be 50 km2 (19.5 sq miles). Some members of the Ubisoft Montreal team spent two weeks in several locations in Africa filming and photographing native wildlife. The team will use the animal footage and environment photos to create an extremely realistic environment.

The player's actions may also have a lasting effect on the environment: for example, one of the missions shown so far by the developers had the player sabotage a pipeline owned by one of the factions that's pumping fresh water from a lake to a neighboring country, exchanging it for arms and munitions. After the player destroys it, part of the surrounding area becomes flooded, including a mine where another mission may take place.

Related Links

Entry on Wikipedia

Official Website

Matt Slagle
AVADirect Research and Developement
taylorfield072 View Drop Down
AVADirect Noob
AVADirect Noob

Quote taylorfield072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 11:33am
I love the Far Cry 1 game. So I guess, this one is even better and a must-have game. Thanks for the heads up Matt. :)
MattSlagle View Drop Down
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote MattSlagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by taylorfield072

I love the Far Cry 1 game. So I guess, this one is even better and a must-have game. Thanks for the heads up Matt. :)

I am still waiting for this game to fall to sub $30 prices.  I dont mind paying for a game, but I do mind paying $60+ for a game.
Matt Slagle
AVADirect Research and Developement
 Post Reply Post Reply