FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Custom Built Liquid Cooling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MattSlagle View Drop Down
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote MattSlagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom Built Liquid Cooling
    Posted: 16 Apr 2008 at 4:45pm

Every single liquid cooled computer is custom built for that specific system.  We do not just mount the components and call it a day.  We actually drill our own mounting holes, use only the best coolants, cut the tubes to exact fit, and test the whole system.

While we do offer pre-built liquid cooling packages from third-party suppliers, opting for the custom liquid system will provide better cooling capabilites, better components, and the truly custom look.  Some of products we use for these setups include items from EK, Alphacool, DangerDan, Koolance and others.

Liquid cooling systems are significantly more efficient than air-cooling, resulting in lower component temperatures and lower noise operation. This allows the processor and video card to run at higher speed and gives much more freedom to overclocking enthusiasts. Our premium CPU liquid cooling kit is configured for performance oriented users and overclockers who wish to maintain a quiet working/playing environment.

CPU Water Blocks We Use

APOGEE%20CPU%20water-clock Swiftech APOGEE GT and GTX CPU Water-Blocks

Designed using Computational Fluid Dynamics analysis, the APOGEE has an optimized cold plate structure design to match the thermal and physical characteristics of AMD® and Intel® latest microprocessors.

GPU Water-Blocks We Use

Please be aware that we use specific video card water-block for the specific video card selected.  Each manufacturer below makes different video card blocks, so AVADirect cannot guarantee that we use a specific manufacturer with a specific video card.  AVADirect will choose a correct water-block based on system performance and needs.

Alphacool NexXxos High Performance VGA Water-Block

The Base is made of electrolytic copper covering all the main components which require cooling and the cooler is then finished off with a stylish high quality acrylic glass cover.  The sealing is created with the use of a high quality rubber sealing ring.

Also, you will find no Aluminum in this cooler therefore reducing the risk of corrosion.

EK High Performance VGA Water-Block

Base is made of electrolytic copper. Top is made of quality acrylic glass. The sealing is preformed by quality rubber washer. Aluminum part is made for cooling the mosfets. Block is mounted with enclosed M2 and M2,5 screws.

Prepared for SLI means that fittings can be used on both side of the block (up and down)!

Danger Den IONE High Performance VGA Water-Block

The DD-IONE is designed to provide maximum cooling for any type of video card selected.

Reservoir and Pump Assemblies We Use

Koolance 950 Reservoir and Pump Assembly

By combining two components the reservoir and the pump into a single 5 1/4" drive bay, this compact assembly reduces the space needed to install the liquid cooling circuit.

The RP-950 is a standalone reservoir and pump unit without electronic control or an LED display. It otherwise features identical components to the Koolance RP-1000 used in 1kW series systems. It features the powerful Koolance PMP-400 Pump integrated into a single 5.25" (CD) bay. The pump has a 3-pin connection (with tach lead), and a 3-4 pin 12V Molex power adapter is included for easy connection to a power supply.

Radiators We Use

Swiftech Heavy-Duty and Extreme-Duty Liquid-to-Air Heat Exchangers

The Heavy-Duty and Extreme-Duty Liquid-to-Air Heat Exchangers designed to be used with 120mm fans, and specifically engineered for high-end liquid cooled computer systems. They are the result of months of research and development focused on optimizing thermal performance and acoustic noise characteristics with low to medium output fans. These heat exchangers have been engineered to meet today's PC industry highest thermal loads, quality standards, and low noise requirements at competitive prices. The Quiet Power design yields superior performance compared to competing products in the same class. Dual 120mm fan form factor on Extreme-Duty Liquid-to-Air Heat Exchangers doubles the surface area available for convection of the heat into the air compared to single 120mm fan designs, they are much more efficient and favorable when complete CPU+VGA liquid cooling solution is being installed.

Danger Den Black Ice Liquid-to-Air Heat Exchangers

The Black Ice® GT Stealth 240 is the first true next generation dual-fan PC radiator designed for uncompromising performance and stealth silent operation. The GTS240 boasts of a radically redesigned Black Ice® core technology that maximizes heat transfer efficiency and maintains effectively the same slender dual-fan profile of the Black Ice® Pro II.

Alphacool NexXxos Liquid-to-Air Heat Exchangers

The NexXxoS Pro delivers not only performance, but is also an eyecatcher due to the perfect engineering.

Its design, with the parallel channels gives the least amount of resistance of waterflow.

The NexXxoS Pro Radiators are among the best in their class for heat exchangers, they have the possibility to fix fans on both sides, and are able to be fitted in almost all cases.

Other Extra Equipment We Use

SmartCoils Tube Wrapping

SmartCoils are extruded PVC coils designed to be wrapped around soft vinyl and thin wall tubes, to eliminate tube kinking and flattening in medium to sharp bend areas. Smartcoils do not restrict flow rate compared to the use of internal springs, they completely eliminate flattening of the tubes over time.

Edited by MattSlagle - 08 May 2008 at 10:06am
Matt Slagle
AVADirect Research and Developement
themandalorian View Drop Down
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote themandalorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2008 at 2:38am

I have two questions

1. How easy is it to drain the coolant if i have an external radiator or resivoir

2.. How easy is it to refill?

3. Why is it that in the picture it doesnt seem like the smartcoil wrapping is throughout the tubes, do you have to pay extra? 

AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote themandalorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2008 at 1:58am
Think you'll be using the new Apogee? http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7929/ex-blc-518/Swiftech_Apogee_GTZ_Universal_CPU_Waterblock_-_Preorder.html#blank
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote MattSlagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2008 at 11:28am
Originally posted by themandalorian

1. How easy is it to drain the coolant if i have an external radiator or resivoir.. How easy is it to refill?[/

Our liquid solutions use an all in one resevoir/pump that is stored inside a 5 1/2 drive bay hidden by a drive bay cover.  You can fill/drain from there.

3. Why is it that in the picture it doesnt seem like the smartcoil wrapping is throughout the tubes, do you have to pay extra? 

We only use smart coils where needed.  If we the customer wants smart coils throughout the system, we can do that as well.  You would need to talk to a sales associate to find out pricing based on the setup and system.
Matt Slagle
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote themandalorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2008 at 2:15pm

Alright thank you

How about that new CPU block?

AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote MattSlagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2008 at 3:07pm

Alright thank you

How about that new CPU block?

Since all of our liquid cooling is custom per customer/system, you can request any components you would like.  There may be a small upcharge depending on the price of selected components though.
Matt Slagle
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote themandalorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2008 at 5:47pm
Alright sounds good.
sargx View Drop Down
AVADirect Noob
AVADirect Noob

Quote sargx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 9:24am
Just a question on pricing:

CPU: 350
CPU+GPU: 750

You're doubling the price, so are you doubling the hardware?  Or just adding a gpu block to the loop?  Are you upgrading the reservoirs? 

Since you use the Koolance 950, could you upgrade to the Koolance 1000 since it's so pimp?  At cost difference of course.

AVADirect View Drop Down
AVADirect Admins
AVADirect Admins

Quote AVADirect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 10:42am
Originally posted by sargx

Just a question on pricing:

CPU: 350
CPU+GPU: 750

You're doubling the price, so are you doubling the hardware?  Or just adding a gpu block to the loop?  Are you upgrading the reservoirs? 

Since you use the Koolance 950, could you upgrade to the Koolance 1000 since it's so pimp?  At cost difference of course.

This is not just a price for hardware, we also factor in the cost of the labor.

Thanks for checking us out.

Regards,
Misha Troshin
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote themandalorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 12:41pm

I see the pump is the same in the 1000, is the only difference the LED display?

Doesn't seem worth it

sargx View Drop Down
AVADirect Noob
AVADirect Noob

Quote sargx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 7:30pm
Right, the difference between the two is purely aesthetic (and informative).
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote themandalorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 2:42am
Has AVAdirect every experimented with phase change cooling
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote MattSlagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2008 at 9:34am

Has AVAdirect every experimented with phase change cooling

I have looked into that myself personally, and I would love to put out a system that uses that.

Instead of buying an aftermarket unit and using a case to go on top, I would rather prefer an all-in-one unit that houses everything inside the case.

Thus, we would have to build the phase change unit ourselves, and that takes time and effort.  We currently have in R&D at the moment, and when that is done within the next few months, we hope to have something like that out.
Matt Slagle
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote themandalorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2008 at 6:06pm
Good luck! Phase change looks and sounds very interesting
Jmundy View Drop Down
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Staff
AVADirect Sales

Quote Jmundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2008 at 10:43am
Phase change shall be a tricky task, there is not doubt about that. There are several things to think about:

Insulation

Temperature control

Case

Placement

All of these things are crucial to the way phase change cooling will operate within a system. I personally can't wait until we start working on it! :-)
Joseph Mundy
Assistant Sales Manager
1-216-503-6361
joseph.mundy@avadirect.com
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote themandalorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2008 at 1:02am

I got a question, how does phase change affect GPU's? How far can the clocks go?

I've seen processors more than double their speed, but how much faster can you make a GPU go, and how much of a FPS diff would that make. Just curious, wouldn't be able to afford it anyways.

AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote MattSlagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008 at 12:20pm

I got a question, how does phase change affect GPU's? How far can the clocks go?

I've seen processors more than double their speed, but how much faster can you make a GPU go, and how much of a FPS diff would that make. Just curious, wouldn't be able to afford it anyways.

As of now, phase change is only reasonable for the CPU.  GPU hardware limits overclocks past 10%, aircooling or phase change.  Also, the complexity of cooling CPU and GPU is so much more then just cooling the CPU.

You would need two units for that and that would more then double the price of the cooling system.
Matt Slagle
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote themandalorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008 at 1:15am

Ahhhhh ok.

I do have a question regarding liquid cooling. What do you think of the aquastream pump. I'm interested in it

AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote MattSlagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2008 at 10:23am

Ahhhhh ok.

I do have a question regarding liquid cooling. What do you think of the aquastream pump. I'm interested in it

I looked up the pump, but I do not think I found what you are looking for.  Do you have a link?

As far as liquid cooling hardware, we mainly stick with Koolance and other name brands.  Although we are always open to customer's hardware suggestions for their builds.
Matt Slagle
AVADirect Guru
AVADirect Guru

Quote themandalorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2008 at 6:45pm

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6582/ex-pmp-58/Aqua_Computer_Aquastream_XT_Ultra_USB_Eheim_12_Volt_Liquid_Cooling_Pump_w_Aquasuite_Software.html

here it is

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>